Dear Members, Friends and Partners,
Times are changing in Cambodia. Early last month, the European Commission started an investigation that could lead to the temporary withdrawal of the Everything But Arms (EBA) privileges for the Kingdom. Simultaneously, the Royal Government announced an unprecedented set of reforms designed to further improve trade facilitation and reduce the cost of doing business. EuroCham has always expressed its firm stance against the potential removal of EBA and remains committed to supporting all efforts to strengthen Cambodia’s competitiveness and attractiveness to responsible investment. The coming month will see important events for both EuroCham and the entire private sector. While all stakeholders are bracing for the impending Government-Private Sector Forum to be convened by the Prime Minister, EuroCham will later this week, on 14 March (Thursday), host a luncheon with the Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Economy and Finance, a key policy maker in the Royal Government. In addition, we will continue our series on standards and responsibility with a breakfast talk on Food Safety on 21 March. Significantly, we will also host our Annual General Meeting on 3 April 2019 to present you with the results of our actions over the past year. Although the Chamber’s Board of Directors has been elected for two years, there will be important decisions submitted to the Members’ appreciation, including about membership fees and national chapters registration.
I look forward to welcoming all of you there!
On 26 February 2019, the Parliamentary State Secretary to the Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development, Norbert Barthle, and the German Ambassador, Dr. Ingo Karsten, visited EuroCham at the invitation of GIZ/Global Business Network. Welcomed by Arnaud Darc, Chairman of EuroCham, Tassilo Brinzer, President of the German Business Group Cambodia, and Blaise Kilian, Executive Director of EuroCham, the participants discussed market opportunities and challenges for European companies in Cambodia.
On 22 February 2019, EuroCham hosted a luncheon featuring guest speaker His Excellency Mr. Veng Sakhon, Minister of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries at Sofitel Phnom Penh. The session featured introductory remarks by the European Union Ambassador to Cambodia, H. E. George Edgar, as well as an extensive Q&A session with H.E Veng Sakhon during which the participants were able to address the Minister directly on his policy agenda. We here at EuroCham Cambodia would like to thank everyone for their participation. View photos!
On 11 February 2019, EuroCham Cambodia and BritCham Cambodia hosted a Breakfast Talk on “Update on EBA and Its Impact on Cambodia” at Raffles Hotel Le Royal. The speakers discussed the current status of Cambodia regarding the EBA Arrangements, where Cambodia actually stands in the process of a possible revision of EBA preferences and also shared the private sector’s sentiment with regard to the various possible scenarios. View photos!
On 28 February 2019, EuroCham hosted a special Breakfast Talk on "Plastic Waste Impact and its Solutions" at Hotel Cambodiana, which was well attended by 120+ attendees. This event is brought together a panel of 5 professionals from various horizons of public and private institutions who shared real cases in Cambodia, and participants had the opportunity to learn from them on the ways to approach this plastic challenge in Cambodia. Our panelists included H.E. Mr. Ny Phaly, Ms. Marianne Teoh, Mr. Benjamin Thorne, Mr. Harold de Martimprey, Mr. Din Somethearith, and Ms. Nataly Rodionova as the moderator. View Photos!
On 21 February 2019 at Topaz Restaurant, EuroCham hosted a Breakfast Talk on “Cambodia’s Salary Survey”. Our speakers included Mr. Nishant Mahajan, Principal Consultant and Leading Executive Remuneration Practice for Mercer, Mr. Guillaume Perdon, Region Head of BRED Group in South-East Asia, Mr. Ken Loo, Secretary General of Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia and Mr. Sok Lor, Secretary General of CAMFEBA, as the moderator of the event. The presentation and discussion went beyond salary levels to include HR retention strategy and a general overview of the labor situation in Cambodia. The main slides of the event is available here.
EuroCham is currently in the process of working on our 2019 Business Confidence Survey and we would like to ask our members for their support in filling out the survey. The Survey results will be reported on a 100% anonymous basis, and we invite you to kindly participate in this survey. The survey should take no more than 10 minutes to complete. Responses from each business unit are welcomed and encouraged. The results of the Survey will be made available to members and the public. Click here to take the survey. Find the results of the previous survey to here.
Every year EuroCham publishes its Year-in-Review to highlight the Chamber's activities and accomplishments. This publication is widely distributed to all EuroCham stakeholders and visitors in all our national events and events overseas during our Outreach missions. We invite our members to advertise in the Year in Review 2018, which will be launched during our upcoming Annual General Meeting on 3 April 2019. This is a perfect space to boost your brand’s exposure with our stakeholders, potential customers and partners. Click to Advertise! View the previous Year-in-Review from 2017 here!
EuroCham is pleased to invite you to 2019 Annual General Meeting (AGM) on 3 April 2019 at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra. Every year EuroCham holds an AGM so that Members can vote for a new board of directors and receive updates on the Chamber's finances, activities, and achievements. Since the Board was elected last year for a two years mandate, there will be no election this time. However, the AGM will be preceded by an Extraordinary General Meeting during which Members will be asked to vote on important matters related to the Membership fees and to the National Chapters registration rules. Register Today!
On 21 March 2019, EuroCham is hosting an exclusive Breakfast Talk on "Food Safety". The event will start with a key note presentation by Ms. Sreng Navin, Head at Laboratory of Environment & Food Safety of Institut Pasteur du Cambodge who will define what food safety is, share the results of Pasteur tests, and provide recommendations as well. This will be followed by a panel discussion with our distinguished experts who will talk about the importance of food safety for consumers and F&B businesses, provide expert advice to local F&B operations that are facing food safety issues, and discuss other critical Food Safety issues. If you are a consumer concerned about the safe food you eat, or an F&B business wanting to build your Food Safety credentials, make sure to attend this event. Register Today!
"Registration is now Closed"
On 14 March 2019 at Sofitel Phnom Penh, EuroCham will organize its second high-profile luncheon of the year with H.E. Akka Pundit Sapheacha Aun Pornmoniroth, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Economy and Finance of Cambodia. This is a rare opportunity for attendees to directly meet one of the Government's most influential decision maker and learn more about the country's economy first-hand. Attendees will be given the opportunity to directly address the Minister on his policy agenda during an extensive Q&A session. Do not miss out on this excellent opportunity.
- February 01 - Tax committee meeting
- February 05 - EuroCham welcomes the United Nations Joint Programme (UNJP)
- February 06 - Asian Development Bank (ADB) lunch meeting with the Private Sector
- February 07 - EuroCham meets the German Ambassador in the Embassy of Germany in Cambodia
- February 11 - EuroCham Breakfast Talk on EBA and its impact on Cambodia
- February 13 - Real Estate and Construction Executive Committee meeting
- February 13 - EuroCham joins Cambodia Trade Integration Strategy Consultation at the Ministry of Commerce
- February 14 - EuroCham and its Transportation and Logistics Committee member participate in the Customs-Private Sector Partnership Mechanism meeting at the General Department of Customs and Excise (GDCE)
- February 15 - Malaysian Business Council of Cambodia (MBCC) anniversary
- February 18 - EuroCham engages in the Draft Investment Law Consultation at the Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC)
- February 18 - EuroCham welcomes the International Labor Organization (ILO)
- February 20 - EuroCham joins the European Development Strategy Consultation at the Delegation of European Union to Cambodia
- February 21 - EuroCham Breakfast Talk on Cambodia’s Salary Survey
- February 22 - EuroCham high profiled Luncheon with H.E. Mr. Veng Sakhon, Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
- February 22 - Real Estate and Construction Executive Committee meeting
- February 26 - EuroCham welcomes the Parliamentary State Secretary to the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
- February 26 - EuroCham welcomes the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- February 26 - EuroCham attends a meeting on Trade Policies Review at the Ministry of Commerce
- February 26 - EuroCham joins a meeting on the draft E-commerce law at the Ministry of Commerce
- February 26 - EuroCham’s Agri-biz Committee joins the Agricultural Forum at the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries (MAFF)
- February 28 - EuroCham Breakfast Talk on the Plastic Challenges and its Solutions