Dear Members, Partners, and Friends,
Last week, you were more than 200 to join our Extraordinary and Annual General Meetings where a change in our Statutes to allow for multiple National Chapters registration and a slight increase of our membership from 2020 were adopted. This AGM was the occasion to report on our achievements, as displayed in our Year in Review but also to make new commitments to our Members, in particular strengthening our relationship with you through more direct interaction and additional benefits to be launched. At the national level, EuroCham joined the Government-Private Sector Forum chaired by the Prime Minister where important reforms were announced to boost the Kingdom’s competitiveness. These decisions along with the results of our numerous consultations with various Ministries throughout the past 18 months have put the rate of policy responses to our White Book at 75%.
The forthcoming Year 2563 of the Buddhist Era is therefore already promising and while we are planning for our many actions to come, I would like to wish you all a very joyful, healthy and prosperous Khmer New Year!
On 3 April 2019, EuroCham hosted its 2019 Annual General Meeting at Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra. The AGM was preceded by an Extraordinary General Meeting and gathered 230+ participants. Following the presentation of our yearly Activity Reports, Chapters Update and Audited Financial Report, two motions were submitted to the vote of our Members, the first relating to the optional registration to an additional National Chapter (Statutes Amendment) and the second, proposing an increase of the Membership Fee for 2020.
The EuroCham Team would once again like to thank everyone for making our 2019 AGM a success. We are privileged to serve our members and we look forward to continuing to work with you in the future.
On 29 March 2019 at Peace Palace during the 18th Government-Private Sector Forum, Prime Minister Hun Sen announced government plans for large-scale economic reforms, outlining 17 measures to stimulate economic growth that he said could save the private sector up to $400 million a year. The strategy included a number of key money-saving initiatives for private businesses, including reducing costs associated with shipping, port service fees and electricity, as well as a reform of railway operation management.
In addition, the announcement also outlined plans to reduce the number of national holidays, introduce fiscal incentives on tax and customs, and expedite the completion of amendments to the Law on Investment and the Law on Special Economic Zones.
On 16th March 2019, EuroCham was elected to the Executive Board of the National Commercial Arbitration Centre (NCAC). EuroCham, being one of the founding members, is honored to by the trust of NCAC members , and is thoroughly committed to the development of such commercial alternative dispute resolution in Cambodia as this is a key initiative to improving the Kingdom’s international competitiveness and the ease of doing business."
EuroCham would also like to congratulate Mr. BUN Youdy, who has been elected as the new President of the NCAC in his personal capacity as a distinguished arbitrator and Practice Leader of Banking & Finance, Corporate and M&A, Litigation and Dispute Resolution, Telecommunications & New Technology at Bun & Associates.
On 14 March 2019, EuroCham hosted a high-profile luncheon featuring distinguished guest speaker Deputy Prime Minister H.E. Akka Pundit Sapheacha Aun Pornmoniroth, Minister of Economy and Finance of Cambodia, at Sofitel Phnom Penh. In this special luncheon, the Deputy Prime Minister shared hisvision and policies for Cambodia’s economy & private sector development. This luncheon saw a good turnover of 160+ attendees. The session featured introductory remarks by the European Union Ambassador to Cambodia,H. E. George Edgar, as well as an extensive Q&A session with the Deputy Prime Minister during which participants were able to address the Minister directly on his policy agenda as well as on the forthcoming reforms. View Photos!
On 21 March 2019 at Raintree Cambodia, EuroCham hosted a Breakfast Talk on “Food Safety”. The breakfast talk was attended by 50+ attendees and was moderated by Mr. Romain Grosjean, Managing Director at Jebsen & Jessen (Cambodia) and Vice Chairman of EuroCham Agri-Business Committee. Our speakers included Ms. Sreng Navin, Head at Laboratory of Environment & Food Safety of Institut Pasteur du Cambodge; Mr. Guillaume Simon, COO Eric Kayser; and Mr. Markus Kalberer, Dean of Academy of Culinary Arts Cambodia (ACAC). The speakers discussed the importance of food safety for consumers as well as F&B businesses, and provide advice to local F&B operations that are facing food safety issues.View Photos!
|Regional Meeting of the European Business Organizations in Southeast Asia|
On 25-26 March, the Executive Directors of the European Business Organizations in Southeast Asia benefiting from the same European Union grant (SEBSEAM/ICI+) met in Ho Chi Minh City for their six-monthly meeting. These regular meetings funded by the EU provide opportunities to expand our regional networks, share experience and discuss common topics such as post-funding sustainability, joint activities, and the advantages of building a larger European Business community throughout the region and the world.
|Introducing EuroCham Year in Review 2018|
Take a look at the EuroCham Year in Review 2018 report that we’ve put together for you! This magazine-style report gives you insights into EuroCham's activities in 2018 and our plans for 2019. We hope you enjoy reading it as much as we did preparing it for you!
On 11 April 2019, EuroCham in association with the Southeast Asia IPR SME Helpdesk is hosting a breakfast talk on "Intellectual Property Protection and Commercialization". The event will include a keynote presentation by Dr. PHIN Sovath, Practice Leader of Intellectual Property and co-Leader for Corporate, M&A, Litigation and Dispute Resolution at Bun & Associations, and External Expert for the Southeast Asia IPR SME Helpdesk. Our expert speaker will provide you with an overview of the legal framework for intellectual property in Cambodia, an update on the recent developments in the areas of copyright, trademark, geographical indication, industrial design, and patent. Register Today!
Requesting all members to fill out the Business Confidence Survey
EuroCham is currently in the process of working on our 2019 Business Confidence Survey and we would like to request our members for their support in filling out the survey. The Survey results will be reported on a 100% anonymous basis, and we invite you to kindly participate in this survey. The survey should take no more than 10 minutes to complete. Responses from each business unit are welcomed and encouraged. The results of the Survey will be made available to members and the public. Click here to take the survey. Find the results of the previous survey here.
- March 04 - ICT Committee Chairman attends a meeting on the draft E-Commerce Law with the Ministry of Commerce
- March 05 - EuroCham welcomes German Parliamentarians
- March 05 - EuroCham joins French Cambodian Chamber of Commerce and Industry Annual General Meeting (CCIFC)
- March 06 - EuroCham Career Talk at the Institute of Technology of Cambodia (ITC)
- March 06 - EuroCham joins a Luncheon of Swiss Development Cooperation
- March 12 - EuroCham meets with Advantage Austria trade delegations
- March 12 & 13 - ICT committee members attend an event on Digital Cambodia 2019
- March 13 - Tax Committee members join Tax-Ps Technical Working Group number 4 at the Cambodia Chamber of Commerce.
- March 14 - EuroCham Luncheon with His Excellency Akka Pundit Sapheacha Aun Pornmoniroth, Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Economy and Finance
- March 15 - Healthcare Committee meeting
- March 15 - EuroCham joins The Cambodia-Korea Business Submit
- March 15 - EuroCham Cambodia meets and shares advocacy experience with EuroCham Philippines
- March 16 - EuroCham is elected as Executive Board at the National Commercial Arbitration Centre
- March 18 - Real Estate and Construction Committee Vice-Chairman participates in the Project Advisory Board Meeting at the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training
- March 19 - EuroCham joins the Signing Ceremony between UNDP Cambodia and Shenzhen 4PX Express Co. Ltd./Alibaba Group on E-Commerce in Cambodia
- March 19 - ICT Committee joins the workshop on draft E-commerce law and implementation regulation organized by the Ministry of Commerce
- March 20 - EuroCham meets Swiss Contact Cambodia
- March 21 - EuroCham Breakfast Talk on Food Safety
- March 22 - Healthcare Committee meets the Department of Drugs and Food of the Ministry of Health
- March 23 - National Commercial Arbitration Centre board meeting
- March 25 & 26 - EuroCham joins the regional meeting of the European Business Organizations in Southeast Asia (all beneficiaries of the EU ICI+ grant)
- March 26 - Transportation and Logistics Committee members join the Customs-Private Sector Partnership Mechanism meeting in the General Department of Customs and Excise
- March 27 - EuroCham joins the workshop on SME Cluster Development organized by the Ministry of Industries and Handicraft and United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- March 28 - EuroCham meets the International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- March 28 - EuroCham welcomes Alliance Française Siem Reap
- March 28 - EuroCham joins the Celebration of 100th Anniversary of the International Labour Organization (ILO) and 50th Anniversary of Membership of the ILO
- March 29 - EuroCham attends the Government-Private Sector Forum chaired by the Prime Minister of Cambodia
- March 29 - EuroCham joins a workshop on SMEs Index Policy organized by the Ministry of Industry and Handicraft